Thursday, July 9, 2009

I am NOT abandoning Airshows!

There has been loose talk floating around that Ol' Frank has left the business of announcing airshows. But having announced shows since 1977, there comes a time when a line has to be drawn. Linda and I have a thriving Promotional Products business, and I still lease my voice to various businesses for commercial voice-over work and narrations. There are only so many hours in a week.

Summer in the southwest is always a challenge, especially when the electric bills come. Here in the Scottsdale-Phoenix metro area, Arizona Public Service changes electric rates in late May for six months; the daytime rate (9 AM to 9 PM Monday through Friday) increases by about 45%. This happens just as the need for air conditioning becomes painfully obvious. When is it hottest here? In the daylight hours! Running the A/C in the house and in the separate office building is a necessity and becomes painful when the bill from APS arrives.

After having announced airshows since 1977, standing out there on the announcing stand or on the ramp for what has become six hours or so each show day, I decided a couple of years ago that I just didn't want to stand there in the heat through the months of June, July and August. So with very few exceptions, I decided to announce only in the spring and the autumn. The exceptions? I will go to New England at any time of year to announce a show, having lived there for 23 years and missing it terribly. The other exception is a show which really is a product demonstration as in a trade show. I am under cover with fans, or inside a glass-walled air-conditioned studio with all the cold water I could ever want.

Of course I continue to function as lead race announcer at the Reno Championship Air Races. Although the races are in mid-September, I have so much help in the form of spotters, timers, the local "99s" putting my spotting boards together, my "Pit Bull Pit Boss", and representatives for each class of racing plus Steve Stavrakakis to help with the unlimiteds and Danny Clisham to announce the civilian aerobatics, I don't mind it still being summer, technically. I say "technically" because we have worked the races in perfect beach weather, in dreadful heat, in wind so bad that dust obscured the course, and four years ago, we flew the final race of the week, the Breitling Unlimited Gold Race, in fairly heavy snow. So that week is always a challenge.

Yes, I am still announcing airshows in spring and fall. Just do not think that I have turned my back on the business of airshows. Too much fun, too many friends, too many memories.

No comments: